Sunday 14 September 2014

Starting Somewhere...

I've been told, the beginning is a good place to start. I've been told that lots of times. But no one ever says the beginning of what. I don't know why I decided to start a blog, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. But now I'm here... where do I begin? I'm sure no one is particularly interested in me going right back to the beginning. Unless... Well I was born to Gerald and Sandra on a rainy April day in 1970-something. Actually, I have no idea what the weather was like. You'd have to ask my mother, though I have no idea what the weather was like when I had my three children, so I don't see why mum would remember it when I graced the world with my presence. So no, you're probably not interested in me going that far back.

So do I go back to the beginning of my cross stitch journey? That actually wasn't that far back. I resisted to be drawn into the stitchy world for the longest time. Grandma tried repeatedly, but I wasn't having any of, and to this day, I have no idea why. But eventually, after a trip to Hobbycraft where I couldn't ignore the call of a tiny little parrot design, I decided to give it a go. The rest, as they say, is history. I was hooked. Well that's that sorted. Now what? The beginning of KLT Charting? Despite there being a reasonably good story behind it, if you're in to that sort of thing, it's a pretty long story which, if I'm being honest, and I might as well be, I can't be bothered to type it out. I'll give you the abridged version. Person A was mean to Person B, who happens to be very dear person to me. A group of strangers rallied together to support Person B, and the group of strangers became a group of friends - the very best kind of friends, who since everything happened with the person A, have relied on each other through thick and thin, through happy and sad, through sickness and health. God, it sounds like we all married each other! But seriously, I have met some of my now very best friends from this group. Person C was in the group, and that person gave me an opportunity which at the time, neither of us even realised what it was.

Bored yet?

I will always be grateful to Person C, but the day came when I realised I could step out from behind C's shadow and take a giant leap of my own. And it really was a giant leap. I was getting to the end of my maternity leave, and needing to decide about going back to work. I didn't want to leave my soon to be 9 month old baby with strangers, so thought I might be able to make a living out of this chart designing melarky. It was make or break. A couple of 'do you think I'm being stupid?' messages to persons B, C and a few others, and KLT Charting was born. The giant leap was back in January, and here we are in September. KLT is going strong, and I'm sat here... blogging for the first in my life.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to use this blog for... Teasing about upcoming chart releases? Knocking ideas around? Perhaps I can just use it to get more organised? I have no idea. Tell you what... if you've actually managed to read this far, (well done, by the way - you're still awake! yay), why don't you tell me what you'd like to read about from me? Feel free to leave me comments pointing me in the right direction! Don't let me down... I'll be refreshing the page every 2 minutes to see who has read and commented ;)

In the meantime, I'm going to go, maybe design some new charts, and if I get time, do some stitching of my own - the housework can wait another week or 2, right?!

Happy stitching,

Kim xx

5 comments:

  1. Great first post - loved reading about Person B and Person C - don't want to hear any more about Person A though. I have heard that Person Q is quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Person Q is a whole different story! But maybe I'll save that for a future blog :)

      Delete
  2. made me chuckle :) i honestly thought u had been going longer than since January!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, just January. Some days it feels longer, other days it still feels like yesterday lol

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it just takes a bit of courage to embark on a new venture, well done you for having that courage. Im so glad you did or id still be combing Tinterweb for Bat charts :) xxx

    ReplyDelete